Float dips

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Take note of ROD PE

I was thinking of getting new rods and I want it seriously, I mean seriously considering the right rod. Always curious when people talked about PE 3-7, PE 4-8, 5-10 etc etc... What's all these means ?? Whey rod sellers states the PE when selling rods. After searching around for a while, i think I understand a little more about PE. But why not let me show what I've found...

Link

Quote:

Sui Generis:

Hi guys..

I have used PE rating many times to get a feel of the nature of a rod's loading.

However, nowadays, I find that things are getting more & more cheem for a sludge-brained guy like me..

Previously, we were quite safely able to use the guide of PE 1 = 10lbs.. PE 2 = 20lbs etc etc..

These days, there are so many lines which have far exceeded this gauge in breaking strain. Avani GT for example.. PE 6 already 20lb more than the supposed gauge of PE 6 = 60lb.

So when a rod states: Max Drag PE 3, what does it mean now? Is it still based on PE 3 = 30lb?
similarly for a rod rated PE 5-8 for example. the max line rating is PE 8 then.. should we base on PE 8 = 80lbs?

Or should we take the risk of using lines which rates higher in poundage like Avani GT? - then we will be using 100lb line.

I understand that many anglers would suggest "read the rod's max drag & load the rod accordingly lah!".. but some rods, like Hot's for example, just doesn't state the max drag gauge. should we base on 1/3 of max PE line rating? Eg: PE 5-8 rod max drag at PE 2.6.
Ah! if that's the case, then what IS PE 2.6 according to the current technology of fishing lines?

Also, not forgetting that owing to advancement in blank technology too, the 1/3 of Max Rod Rating to gauge Max Drag of Rod does not apply for many rods anymore too. - which makes things even more complicated!

fishing used to be less complicated hor?

Thanks you for reading & for any advices..


frank7:

i don't pop

fishing is still as simple as it is until we try to go technical Very Happy

To me PE rating is a measurment of thickness, I'll ignore the strength rating ( Eg. PE4 = 54.56778543lbs ). If the rod is rated 2-4, i'll look for a line in the PE 2-4 region and choose the most suitable one for my rod. Suitable in term of thickness.

Putting all the breaking strength/max load/max drag rating aside, the physical dimension of the line, reel and rod must match.

Once that is match, you'll feel very comfortable and the whole setup will be very nice to fish with.

So will I load PE 8 (which is 100lbs) onto a rod rated PE5-8(80lbs)?
Yes I will
Will the rod break?
It depends on the angler

cheers


MORE UPDATES 02 dec
Link

Quote


rainbow7j:

a PE1-3 jigging rod is more like a rod with a tip action of PE1, and with the butt force like PE3. The rod overall action should be around PE2, whereas a PE2 rod has a uniform bend, PE1-3 rod is likely to have more bending.

Going higher up the PE, at PE4, I would think the action from PE2-5 or PE3-6 would fits the bill. A PE2-4 would do as well, but i feel it is more for a PE3 application.

No comments: